I’ve ditched my paypal buttons and am going with TipJoy! More on TipJoy in a later post. I’m sure someone will build a TipJoy plugin for this soon (UPDATE – ok it looks like it will be me), but until then here’s my setup for a self hosted WordPress site, I’m not an expert on WordPress code so try this at your own risk:
- You’re going to want to disable WP-Cache while testing (if you have it)
- Backing up your theme files before you get started would be a GREAT idea
- Open in a new window or tab TipJoy’s banner page
- Open in a new window or tab your homepage
- Open in a new window or tab your WordPress Admin Page > Presentation > Theme Editor
Banner on Sidebar (or footer or whatever):
- Generate the HTML you need from TipJoy, highlight it, and copy it
- In the Theme Editor, open your sidebar page
- Determine where in your sidebar you want the banner and find that in the sidebar code. Using your browser’s find function for some nearby text can make this go faster
- Paste that code from TipJoy in where you want it and click the Update File button
- Refresh your homepage
- Don’t like it? Keep tweaking the location until you do!
Tip This button on each post:
- Generate the HTML you need for the button from TipJoy, type Replace1 for the URL and Replace2 for the title (we’re going to replace them). Highlight and copy it
- In the Theme Editor open your Single Post page (or whatever you have that’s similar)
- You’ll want to tinker with this, but somewhere after the <?php the_content statement paste in your button code
- Replace Replace1 with <?php the_permalink() ?>
- Replace Replace2 with <?php the_title(); ?> be careful not to delete the existing end quotes
- Click the Update File button
- Goto a single post on your site and see if you like where the button is.
- If you want to test then I suggest you clear your browser’s cookies and continue. Otherwise you’re done!
- Click it to test and it will pop out a text box.
- Under that text box you’ll see some text to sign in if you are already a member, click that
- Your post’s title and URL should be on the page correctly!
Please post in the comments if this works / doesn’t work for you, I’ll help if I can and if not then maybe another reader will be able to!