I’ve developed a weird hobby, looking at available domain names. That’s how I ended up starting Polled.info, I was looking at Geek.name and it struck my fancy. Since then I’ve been looking at other available domains to play with and here are my favorite sites when I go window shopping:
- 3la.org – Lists available 3 letter domains in .com (none), .net and .org. Don’t get too happy on this one I’m not sure how up to date the site is.
- dyyo.com – This is up to date and has been set up for anyone looking for 4 letter domain names, the site includes a helpful section listing recently dropped 4 letter domains.
- Geek.name – My favorite of the bunch, lists recently dropped domains that hit on their searches by dictionary, names of people, place names, and three and four letter domains. There are a lot of filtering options and a generic name ranking system to give you an idea of just how good your domain name is.
- BustAName.com – If you are looking to build your site name from multiple words then Bust-A-Name is right for you. Just add a lists of keywords that you like enough to be in your domain name to the word combiner and they will give you a list of available permutations and even point you to a place to register for a good price. You can use 2 or 3 words and even try adding some common prefixes and suffixes to get a name you like.
- MakeWords.com- If all else fails and you just want something different that’s memorable but doesn’t have to be a real word then you can find what you want a MakeWords. You have several options that you can control to direct the making of the words, sign up as a user for free and you can save off your favorites. It’s fun to just wonder about what a weird name site might be, like the suggestion I just got teropoet.com. Terrorist Poets? Maybe if those guys could get some of their angst out in iambic pentameter they would spend less time plotting the overthrow of western civilization? Could MakeWords make peace? Should I not write anymore because I’m getting a little too silly… I’m thinking yes.